Is Definitive Edition really worth anything?

So to start: I am an owner of original AoE copy, with pixelated graphics and these cool MIDI songs and sound effects and all that jazz. I like to play it and I am very familiar with it and it's unique style. Nevertheless, I've added DE on my wishlist on Steam because I thought it will be a lot friendlier gameplay with its high resolution (you can zoom out and see a lot more) and just more beautiful and pleasant to look at.

So I launch the game and... Microsoft intro... lags? Okay, maybe my laptop is not state of the art, it's 4 years old, but how in the hell does a video lag? Then the proper intro starts and it's a total mess, it not only lags, there are pitch black square artifacts like on some really bad quality old MP4 clip, sometimes even only some parts of the scene are present (like only the "borders" of the mosaic) and it got me thinking... is this just a 3D model rendered in real time? Correct me if it's not, but damn... the developers really got their optimization game good, a nice welcome, it's a goddamn intro and not a gfx benchmark for pity's sake.

But alright then, although I am not really okay with that, let's move on, it is the gameplay that matters, right? So I open up Babylon campaign and I am at first content, because the zoom out encovers a lot of the map, but then I move the priest and I notice I really got like 15 fps... and there is somewhat acceptable framerate when I zoom in to the point where probably more of the map is visible in the 1997 version, so, what's the point really?

You could say that it's my computer's fault for just being too weak but well, I compared my graphics card (840M) to the recommended system requirements and it's about the same, and much much better than the minimal requirements and even then: I don't think that you should get double 2080s to play a refreshed version of 2D strategy game from 1997.

I requested for a refund on Steam, first time in my life, although it was only about 5 euros, but I think the developers deserve none of that money for the non-optimized bloated crap they've released.

It's not really possible to fully express emotions in plain text, but don't take this post as a salty whining. I'm just really disappointed.

submitted by /u/isemeg
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : aoe https://ift.tt/2SA1Muv
No comments

No comments :

Post a Comment