Some thoughts about the lack of RTS games

I grew up playing the Command & Conquer games almost exclusively but there have been a drought of RTS games for many years now sadly. There have been attempts by companys like Petroglyph and Eugen Systems, bless them, but nothing has really caught very much traction. I think it has less to do with that people simply don't enjoy RTS games anymore (which I think people totally do), but more that those smaller independent studios who make the games they want to make get mostly overshadowed by the bigger companies with higher management putting their nose in things.

Because with the wide access to reliable internet, microtransactions and DLC have become a thing. Something which doesn't easily translate into RTS games. They tried doing it with Generals 2 and it went belly up. I'd say Starcraft 2 has pulled it off fairly well though. But I don't really think the general gamer cares about all that kind of stuff. They just want a good game.

Even so, there seems to be a reluctancy to put out games with just a one-off sale income, especially with certain bigger companies like EA. To them, a game is an investment first and a game second (which kind of takes the "Arts" out of "Electronic Arts"). Not to say that they don't ever put out some good things.

So here we are. Of course, I'm totally looking forward to Age of Empires IV (whenever the hell that comes out) and the many remakes they are making for the past AoE games. I just kinda wish there were a bit more. Nothing like sending screenfulls of tanks to obliterate everything in your way.

submitted by /u/Zaptagious
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : gaming http://ift.tt/2FMxkEJ
No comments

No comments :

Post a Comment