Anyone playing on Linux?

I'm a full time linux user currently without a working install of Windows. I don't game that much but every now and again I check out AoE again to see how it's working.

Recently Steam released a new feature for steam on linux which allows Windows games to run seamlessly on Linux (internally it uses a custom version of Wine). I tried it with HD and got it working reasonable well.

For some reason the launcher doesn't work, so I had to delete launcher.exe, and rename 'AoK HD.exe" to "Launcher.exe". Then the game seem to work well, and mods from the workshop install without problems.

The only issue is the game seems to lag a lot for about the 1st minute after starting a new game. Then everything works fine. Playing online seems good as well.

I also tried installing to Voobly patch and that also works by just running the Voobly AoK exe in Wine, but by enabling the "emulate a windows desktop" option. The lag at the start seems to be gone on Voobly.

I haven't tried installing The Forgotten or other expansions with Voobly though. I haven't figured out how to do this.

Just wondering if anyone else has been doing this and what your experiences are?

submitted by /u/backafterdeleting
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : aoe2 http://bit.ly/2AiIQGK
No comments

No comments :

Post a Comment