Does anyone else like Regicide better than Random Map?

I might get some flak for this, but I think random map is so dependent on clicks-per-minute and wars of attrition that it's less fun. Also the dark age of random map is so much longer and slower.

I like regicide a lot more because it gets into the action a little bit faster, since you start with more villagers. For me, what makes AOE2 interesting is managing your economy and military at the same time. The dark age is pretty much just economy and scouting (usually).

Regicide also has higher stakes. In random map you have to chip away at a sprawl of buildings and villagers. There is no single target and therefore the stakes feel a bit lower. It's more likely to feel like a war of attrition where each side can just keep building further and further back etc. Regicide is different because there is one target, so things can turn around really quickly. Someone who seems to be the underdog can also win. A smartly executed surprise attack with a small group of rams and other units can win the game out from under the person in first, if the king fails to escape in time.

I personally think all of these things make regicide a lot more engaging and exciting. A lot may not agree, but for me when I think of AOE2, I think of regicide.

submitted by /u/iforgot87872
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : aoe2 https://ift.tt/2ssalc6
No comments

No comments :

Post a Comment